Frequently Asked Questions
Who is St. Thomas Aquinas and why study his thought?
St. Thomas Aquinas, a Dominican saint and Doctor of the Church, rivals St. Augustine as perhaps the most influential Catholic theologian of all time. In his commitment to pursuing the Truth, wherever it may be found, St. Thomas presented a compelling vision of Catholic theology.
What Degree Programs are offered at Aquinas Institute?
Aquinas Institute offers the following residential degree programs: the Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Theology, and Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies. We are particularly known for our Doctor of Ministry in Preaching. Additionally, we offer a variety of graduate certificates and a Master of Arts in Practical Theology.
What difference can I make in the world?
At Aquinas Institute, we challenge our students to consider life's most ultimate questions and to respond to these questions from the perspective of faith. In our study of the Word of God and our reflection upon the world in all of its complexity, we come to a deeper knowledge and understanding of Jesus Christ.
Our study is at the service of what Dominicans call the "Holy Preaching." The Holy Preaching is not just what we proclaim from the pulpit, but what we express together in our shared life of responding to God's call. St. Mark tells us, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."
- How do I apply?
- Do I have to complete the application all at once?
- Do I need to have a theology major to apply?
- I don't have the required pre-requisite 12 credit hours in theology or philosophy. How will this impact my application?
- Do I need to take the GRE?
- Is there a minimum GPA required?
- How do my recommenders receive information on submitting their recommendations?
- Where do I submit my transcripts and other materials to?
- What are the expectations for writing abilities at Aquinas?
- Can I defer once I am accepted?
- Where do Aquinas students live?
- What financial aid is available?
- When will I find out if I'm admitted?
- What do I need to know as an international applicant?
- Do I need to take the TOEFL or the IELTS?
- What is the International Student Supplemental Application?
- I completed my collegiate studies outside the United States. What is needed for a transcript evaluation?
- Can you grant me a visa as an international student?
- What if I already have a visa and want to study at Aquinas?
- What happens after I receive my I-20?
- What is required of me while a student at Aquinas?
Questions Not Answered Here?
We're always here to help.