Associate Professor of Liturgical and Sacramental Theology
- B.A. in English and German from Middlebury College (Middlebury, VT) in 1998
- M.Div. from the University of Notre Dame in 2002
- Ph.D in Systematic Theology from the University of Notre Dame in 2009
From 2009-2017 Dr. Beaton taught undergraduate and graduate students in the Theology Department at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, MN.
At Aquinas Institute she currently teaches the following courses:
- Sacraments for the Healing Ministry
- Theology of Worship
- Christian Initiation
- Liturgical Leadership (Baptismal)
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Embodied Words, Spoken Signs: Sacramentality and the Word in Rahner and Chauvet. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2014.
- Illuminating Unity: Four Perspectives on Dei Verbum’s ‘One Table of the Word of God and the Body of Christ.’ Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2014.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “‘Let Us Sing As We Go’: Language Origins and the Sung Response of Faith.” Horizons: The Journal of the College Theology Society 44, no. 1 (2017) 56–79.
- “Seeing with the Eyes of Mercy: Ade Bethune as Precursor to Walter Kasper.” Worship 90, no. 6 (2016) 513–531.
- “Evolving Understandings of the Church as Sacrament.” In Vatican Council II: Reforming Liturgy, edited by David Orr, Paul Taylor, and Carmel Pilcher. Adelaide: ATF Press, 2013, 11–24.
- “Realizing Unity: The One Table of the Prophetic Word and Body of Christ.” Worship 86, no. 4 (2012) 323–338.
- “Song and Sacrament, Mind and Matter: Mirroring the Other in the Worship Context,” Liturgy Conference, Institute of Sacred Music, Yale University, New Haven, CT. June 2018.
- “Language, Song, and the Senses: Liturgical Living in Light of Chauvet.” North American Academy of Liturgy Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC. January 2018.
- “Past, Present, Future: Chauvet’s Tripod in the Key of Creation.” Catholic Theological Society of America Annual Meeting, Albuquerque, NM. June 2017.
- “Mercy Revealed: The Dignity of the Marginalized Made Manifest in the Liturgy.” Catholic Theological Society of America Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico. June 2016.
- “The Word of God in the Mouths of Humans: What Can Evolutionary Anthropology Tell Us About Liturgical Language?” North American Academy of Liturgy Annual Meeting, Houston, TX. January 2016.
- Liturgical Language: Reception and Revelation.” North American Academy of Liturgy Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN. January 2015.
- “Transformative Unity: The Language of Liturgy in Word and Sacrament.” North American Academy of Liturgy Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. January 2014.
Dr. Beaton grew up in New Hampshire. Her theological vocation is rooted in her ministry experience and in a fascination with the ways that humans have approached God in liturgical prayer.