Honora Werner, OP
Associate Professor of Homiletics
Director of the DMin in Preaching Program
- BA Caldwell College (History and Music)
- MM The Catholic University of America (Music Education)
- MA Vanderbilt University (Religion/Scripture)
- DMin Aquinas Institute of Theology (Preaching)
- I am a Sister in the Caldwell Dominican Congregation.
- I hold membership in the Academy of Homiletics and the Catholic Association of Teachers of Homiletics (CATH).
Recent Parish Missions and Retreats
- “Launching into Lent,” Sacred Heart Parish, South Plainfield, NJ
- “Walking with the Mystics,” Sacred Heart Convent, Houston, TX and Bethany Retreat Center, Antigonish, NS
- “Enhancing Our Contemplative Eye,” Dominican Sisters, Sparkill, NY; Sisters of St. Ann, Halifax, NS
Recent Days of Reflection or Study
- “Women in the New Testament” 2-day series, St. Rose of lima Church, Short Hills, NJ
- Survey of the Old Testament, diocesan program for catechists’ ongoing education, St. Henry Church, Bayonne, NJ and St. John the Evangelist Church, Bergenfield, NJ
- “Eucharist: Models and Mystery,” St. Thomas More and Newman Center, Columbia, MO
- “Eucharist,” 2 –days of study with RCIA, St. Aloysius Church, Caldwell, NJ
- Lent, That Joyful Season, with a Missionary and Cosmic Lens,” NPM Baltimore-Washington Chapter, Theological College, Washington, DC.
- “Dominican Praise,” Reflection and Instruction on praying the Liturgy of the Hours, CDN, St. Louis, MO.
- “St. Dominic Founder and Friend,” Associates of Sisters of St. Dominic, Caldwell, NJ
- “On the Road Again: The Gospel of Mark.” Faithquest program of the West Essex Deanery, No. Caldwell, NJ
- “Four Pillars of Dominican Life,” Associates of Sisters of St. Dominic, Caldwell, NJ
- “Mary, Star of the New Evangelization,” St. Margaret of Scotland Church, St. Louis, MO
Publications, Talks and Videos
- Chapter on Dominican Sisters Doing Theology and Ecology in the 20th Century, for “Dominicans Doing Justice", Volume 2.
- "Preaching Seeds, Preaching Starters and General Intercessions for two 6-week cycles of Renew International program", Arise, for use in the Boston and Stockton (arch) dioceses.
- “The Preaching of Fra Angelico,” Caldwell University, Series in honor of the 800th Year of the Order.
- “Vatican II and the Church as the Bearer of Good News: Where are We?” Keynote address at NPM Conference, St. Louis, MO. Also published in Pastoral Music, 39, no.1
- “Evangelizer? Missionary? Who Me?” Deacon Digest, 31,no. 6
- Video presentations for Dominican Way, a cable TV series by the Sisters fo St. Dominic of Caldwell:
- Jesus and Mary in the Garden (visio divina)
- ‘Mary, Star of the New Evangelization
- Women in Jesus’ Genealogy
- The Storm at Sea (visio divina)
After years of experience in campus ministry, teaching at all levels, and liturgical ministry in parishes, I realize that all of that work and the study of theology come together and are enlivened by good preaching. So to preach and to teach preachers are passions that energize me. My academic interests are homiletics and Scripture with a special desire to read, teach and preach in light of the evolutionary Universe we inhabit. Other interests include reading fiction and poetry, music, relaxed conversations over coffee or wine, and people – especially people with developmental disabilities. Being a native of New Jersey, I know the gift of the ocean who ministers to my body and spirit!