Gregory Heille, O.P.
Professor of Preaching and Evangelization
Director, Doctor of Ministry in Preaching
- D.Min, Preaching (Western Theological Seminary, Reformed Church in America, Holland MI, 1991)
- M.Div.; M.A., Liturgy (Aquinas Institute of Theology, 1975)
- B.A., Mathematics (St. John’s University, Collegeville MN, 1969)
"The Christian life is a person-to-person transforming encounter—betwixt believers and Christ, among believers, and with all the peoples of the world. The Christian gospel is not only an ancient and growing body of doctrine. It is also a transforming set of practices and a call to virtue, always in context, always personal and formational, and all for the common good in the Reign of God.”
The road that brought me to ministry at Aquinas Institute of Theology involved almost twenty years of pastoral ministry at the Catholic Campus Parish of South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota; Associate Pastor at Blessed Sacrament Parish, Madison, Wisconsin; Vocation Coordinator for the Dominican Central Province, Chicago, Illinois; priest for the St. Giles Family Mass Community, Oak Park, Illinois; and chaplain for Dominican Chapel/Marywood and founder and program director for Dominican Center at Marywood in Grand Rapids, Michigan. After completing my Doctor of Ministry in Preaching in 1991, I came to Aquinas Institute in 1994 to live in the formation community of Saint Dominic Priory and to serve as Director of Field Education and Assistant Professor of Homiletics. Now, a surprising 25 years later, and recently having completed eleven years as Academic Dean and Executive Vice President and six years as a Commissioner on Accrediting with the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada, I serve once again as Director of the Doctor of Ministry in Preaching and Professor of Preaching and Evangelization. I reside at Saint Louis Bertrand House near Forest Park.
My academic interests have to do with the theology of preaching, Christian healing, and evangelization —with a particular and longstanding interest in repairing the fractured relationship of men and women in our culture (Galatians 3:28).
I continue to take any opportunity I can to hike in the American West. Favorite places include Mount Rainier National Park in Washington, Zion National Park in Utah, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, and the Big Sur Coast in California.
- Past President of the Catholic Association of Teachers of Homiletics
- Past President of the Academy of Homiletics
- Dominican Friar and Promoter of Preaching of the Dominican Central Province of St. Albert the Great
- Honorary Certification in Online Teaching and Learning, Catholic Distance Learning Network, Seminary Department of the National Catholic Education Association (2013)
- Online Teaching Certification, Quality Matters “Applying the QM Rubric” (2013)
- MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) Design Certification, Catholic Distance Learning Association and Holy Apostles College and Seminary (2013)
- Building Intercultural Competency for Ministries Certification and Trainer Certification, Congar Institute for Ministry Development and United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Multicultural Diversity in the Church (2014)
The Dominican Preaching Network
- Aquinas Institute of Theology collaborates with the Institute for Pastoral Homiletics in Germany and the Dominican Preaching Institute in the Philippines with the purpose building a global Dominican Preaching Network. In October 2016 in St. Louis, during the 800th Jubilee Year of the Order of Preachers, our three schools of preaching jointly hosted “Go and Do Likewise”—a global English-speaking Dominican Jubilee Colloquium on Preaching. Keynote speakers included Fr. Bruno Cadoré O.P., Master of the Dominican Order (Rome); Sr. Sara Boehmer, O.P., theologian and economist and General Prioress of Dominican Sisters of Bethany (Waldniel, Germany); and Dominican lay professor of theology Mary N. Erika Bolaños, O.P., University of Santo Tomas (Manila, Philippines).
- In October 2017, I happily participated in Vade, Praedica–Go, Preach, a regional colloquium on preaching in the interreligious context of Asia and the Pacific. The Institute for Preaching in Quezon City hosted the event at the University of Santo Tomas in Manila.
- The October 2018 regional colloquium will be hosted by the Institute for Pastoral Homiletics in Cologne and will be titled Sacra Praedicatio–Our Challenge in a Fragile Europe. Planning also is underway for a North American regional colloquium to be hosted by Aquinas Institute of Theology in October 2019.
Selected Presentations and Publications
- “The Preaching of Pope Francis.” Keynote talk at the University of Notre Dame Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics “To All the World: Preaching and the New Evangelization” Conference (June 27, 2014).
- The Preaching of Pope Francis: Missionary Discipleship and the Ministry of the Word. Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2015.
- “Pope Francis: Preacher,” Liturgy 33:2 (March 2018), 3–10.