- Academic Dean and Vice President
- Professor of Homiletics
- D.Min, Preaching (Western Theological Seminary, Reformed Church in America, Holland MI, 1991)
- M.Div.; M.A., Liturgy (Aquinas Institute of Theology, 1975)
- B.A., Mathematics (St. John’s University, Collegeville MN, 1969)
"The Christian life is a person-to-person transforming encounter—betwixt believers and Christ, among believers, and with all the peoples of the world. The Christian gospel is not only an ancient and growing body of doctrine. It is also a transforming set of practices and a call to virtue, always in context, always personal and formational, and all for the common good in the Reign of God.”
The road that brought me to ministry at Aquinas Institute of Theology involved almost twenty years of pastoral ministry at the Catholic Campus Parish of South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota; Associate Pastor at Blessed Sacrament Parish, Madison, Wisconsin; Vocation Coordinator for the Dominican Central Province, Chicago, Illinois; priest for the St. Giles Family Mass Community, Oak Park, Illinois; and chaplain for Dominican Chapel/Marywood and founder and program director for Dominican Center at Marywood in Grand Rapids, Michigan. After completing my Doctor of Ministry in Preaching in 1991, I came to Aquinas Institute in 1994 to live in the formation community of Saint Dominic Priory and to serve as Director of Field Education and Assistant Professor of Homiletics. Now, a surprising twenty years later, I continue to serve as Professor of Homiletics, while serving also since 2007 as Academic Dean and Vice President. I now reside at Saint Louis Bertrand House near Forest Park.
My academic interests have to do with the theology of preaching, Christian healing, and the new evangelization of culture—with a particular and longstanding interest in repairing the fractured relationship of men and women in our culture (Galatians 3:28).
I continue to take any opportunity I can to hike in the American West. Favorite places include Mount Rainier National Park in Washington, Zion National Park in Utah, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, and the Big Sur Coast in California. I look forward this summer to returning to Yellowstone and Mount Rainier.
- Honorary Certification in Online Teaching and Learning, Catholic Distance Learning Network, Seminary Department of the National Catholic Education Association (2013)
- Online Teaching Certification, Quality Matters “Applying the QM Rubric” (2013)
- MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) Design Certification, Catholic Distance Learning Association and Holy Apostles College and Seminary (2013)
- Building Intercultural Competency for Ministries Certification and Trainer Certification, Congar Institute for Ministry Development and United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Multicultural Diversity in the Church (2014)
- “The Compassionate Testimony of Missionary Disciples”—keynote address at the Biennial Colloquium of Dominican Colleges and Universities—Molloy College, Rockville Center, New York, June 12–15, 2014
- Archdiocese of Dubuque Convocation of Priests—sessions to include The Ministry of the Word in a Gospel-Actualized Parish, Pope Francis and the Ministry of the Word, Facing the Many Challenges of Day-In/Day-out Preaching, and Giving the Gift of Seasonal Preaching—at Divine Word Seminary College, Epworth, Iowa, June 16–18, 2014
- “The Preaching of Pope Francis”—keynote address at the Preaching and the New Evangelization conference sponsored by the Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics at the University of Notre Dame—Notre Dame, Indiana, June 25–27, 2014
- Archdiocese of New Orleans Annual Priest Convocation—a convocation on preaching given with David Caron, O.P.—at the New Orleans Convention Center, September 22–25, 2014
- Diocese of Cleveland Convocation of Priests—a convocation on preaching given with James Wallace, C.Ss.R.—at Sawmill Creek, Huron, Ohio, October 7–10, 2014
- The Preaching of Pope Francis: Missionary Discipleship and the Ministry of the Word. Liturgical Press, March 2015.
- Website: “The Word on the Web: An Internet Hotlist for Preachers.”
- Theology of Preaching: Essays on Vision and Mission in the Pulpit. Gregory Heille, O.P., editor. London: Melisende, 2001.
- Preaching in the Sunday Assembly: A Pastoral Commentary on Fulfilled in Your Hearing. Catholic Association of Teachers of Homiletics, James Wallace, C.Ss.R., editor, Gregory Heille, O.P., project leader. Collegeville MN: Liturgical Press, 2010.
- “The Preaching of Pope Francis.” Keynote talk at the University of Notre Dame Marten Program in Homiletics and Liturgics “To All the World: Preaching and the New Evangelization” Conference (June 27, 2014).