Interim Head Search
Tradition, excellence, spiritual meaning, and service to others. These values form the foundation of Rosarian Academy, an independent Catholic school enrolling 393 K-8 students in West Palm Beach. Since the school’s founding nearly 90 years ago, its leadership has found joy and inspiration in the school’s sponsoring Adrian Dominican Sisters. The first lay leader, a woman with 30 years of proud service to the school, was installed four years ago and has done a superb job transitioning the school and preparing it for bold new leadership. The Board of Directors now seeks an entrepreneurial leader with passion for the school’s mission – to educate the whole person for life in the light of Gospel values – who can immediately serve on an interim basis while a search for the next Permanent Head proceeds. The Board would like the Interim Head to be in place by August 2014, the start of the academic year. If interested, the Interim Head may apply for the Permanent Headship as well.
Located in West Palm Beach, Florida, Rosarian Academy is the only independent Catholic school in Palm Beach County. Founded in 1925 by the Adrian Dominican Sisters, its mission is to educate the whole person for life in the light of Gospel values. For 90 years, Rosarian has been dedicated to providing its students with the foundation to live lives filled with faith, knowledge, and service, starting in the Montessori program (up to five years old) and continued through the Lower School (K-4th grade) and Middle School (5th – 8th grade).
Beginning in kindergarten, Rosarian offers a shared, sequenced, and specific curriculum that follows the Core Knowledge Curriculum and aligns with the school’s mission. The purpose of instruction at Rosarian is to develop exemplary young citizens with superior academic preparation. The program maintains a rigorous accelerated curriculum that fosters academic excellence while accommodating and challenging students with diverse talents and levels of maturity. 21st- century technology is integrated into the curriculum in all classes at all levels, and the school will begin implementing a 1:1iPad program for all K-8 students, starting with iPads for all seventh and eighth grade students and all faculty, in August 2014. Core curriculum subject areas include language arts, literature, mathematics, religion, science, Spanish, and social studies. Wide-ranging co-curricular offerings—including art, band, drama, music, physical education, and technology—supplement the academic portion of a student’s day and address the school’s mission to educate the whole child. Upon completion of eighth grade, graduates progress confidently and successfully into the most desired day and boarding high schools in the area and, ultimately, into the finest colleges and universities in the nation.
The school’s unsurpassed facilities include a magnificent 17,000 square-foot full-sized gymnasium with locker rooms and a physical training room; a cutting-edge fine arts facility with a 485-person professional theater, drama suite, visual arts suite and music suite; and a state-of-the-art library media center.
With a coeducational population of 393 students, Rosarian operates on an annual budget of approximately $6.4 million, derived from tuition and annual giving, and has a Charitable Trust of $1.2 million. More than 85% of families support annual giving. Charitable giving for the 2013-2014 school year was approximately $565,000. Over 25% of students receive financial assistance or scholarship money, totaling around $562,000 annually.
Role of Interim Head:
The Interim Head will report to the Board of Directors and will assume all duties typically associated with the role of the Chief Executive Officer. In addition, the Interim Head will be expected to bring a positive, collaborative, and reassuring leadership approach as s/he ensures an orderly transition to the arrival of a new Permanent Head in 2015. Specific duties will include continuing to implement the recently approved Strategic Plan and conducting a comprehensive School Quality Review (SQR). The SQR will comprise a focused, rolling review of all key school operations including:
- Curriculum and pedagogy, with an emphasis on incorporating best practices in teaching and learning in a 21st-century environment
- An assessment of school practices concerning faculty recruitment, development, evaluation, and support
- Enrollment management practices, including marketing, communications, branding, and competitive positioning of the school
- Integration of technology across the campus and into the classroom
- Financial management and controls
- Fundraising and capacity-building strategies
- Family engagement and strategies for leveraging goodwill
- Co-curricular activities
- Fidelity to mission and Catholic identity
- Safety and security of the campus; and
- Other elements identified as priorities by the Board of Directors.
This is a rare opportunity for an accomplished school leader to apply his or her executive knowledge in a small, dynamic institution eager for continued growth and improvement.
Qualifications and Qualities:
Rosarian seeks a faith-filled leader who can provide strong, visionary leadership while preparing the school community to welcome its next Permanent Head. Essential qualifications include the following:
- Joyful and collaborative servant leadership combined with a sense of urgency and a track record of exceptional results in a private school environment.
- Master’s degree or higher in educational administration or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ teaching and administrative experience in an independent school environment, preferably at the PK-8 level. Catholic school leadership experience is preferred but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a desire to serve in a high-profile role.
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of children, families, and for the future of a wonderful school.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit the following materials no later than June 2, 2014:
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this opportunity and what you would bring to the role by way of special skills, talents, experiences, and how your leadership values align with the mission of the school. If you believe you may have interest in continuing as Permanent Head of the school, please be sure to include this in your letter.
- Current resume with dates.
- List of five (5) references with contact information.
Materials should be submitted via email to:
Senior Search Consultant and Catholic Schools Practice Leader
Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Direct line: 774.251.0080