Aquinas is pleased to host a St. Jude Blessing Mass at 23 S. Spring Ave. – St. Louis, MO 63108 in concurrence with a visit from the St. Jude Relic.
After his martyrdom, the body of St. Jude was buried temporarily in Mesopotamia before being given permanent internment in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome with the other Apostles. His forearm was incased in a silver reliquary and located for many centuries in Armenia. At the beginning of the 18th century, Armenian Dominican Missionaries left the country due to the Moslem persecution, and brought the relic to Smyrna, Turkey. After another round of persecutions, the relic was given to the Dominicans in Turin, Italy. It was presented in 1949 to the Dominican Central Province of the U.S. on the 20th anniversary of the Shrine’s dedication to St. Jude.
The arm is permanently displayed at the Dominican Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus located in St. Pius V Parish in Chicago, and is reportedly the largest relic of an Apostle located outside of Rome.