Aquinas Institute of Theology faculty and staff members, along with Master of Arts in Heath Care Mission (MAHCM) cohort students, were joined by local Dominican Associates in the Aquinas Institute chapel on August 8th in celebration of the feast day of St. Dominic. Aquinas Institute is sponsored by the Dominican Province of St. Albert the Great.
St. Dominic de Guzman was born in Caleruega, Spain, in 1170. After graduating from the University of Palencia and being ordained into the priesthood, he became a Canon of St. Augustine and superior of the Canons in the Cathedral of Osma, where he devoted his time to public ministry of the sacraments. While passing through southern France with his bishop in the year 1203, the young priest was shocked to witness the spiritual horrors wrought by the Albigensian heresy which, among other things, taught that the physical world was evil – despite the fact that God’s Son chose to live in it Himself.
It was in this community, hungering for the Gospel message of Christ’s redemption of the world, that our zealous brother discovered the depth of his vocation and laid the foundation for the Order of Preachers (the Dominicans). The Order that Dominic founded to preach consists of friars, nuns, sisters, laity and associates. St. Dominic died on August 6, 1221, in Bologna, Italy.
The Aquinas Institute of Theology community used this aforementioned feast day opportunity to also say farewell to emerita faculty member, Sr. Joan Delaplane, O.P., who will soon be moving to Adrian, MI. Sr. Mary Margaret Pazdan, O.P., Fr. Greg Heille, O.P., and Fr. Harry Byrne, O.P., each offered a prayer of blessing and sending over Sr. Joan as the community thanked her for her many years of teaching and preaching at the Institute.
(Pictured Above): Aquinas Institute of Theology staff, faculty and friends gather together in celebration of the Feast Day of St. Dominic, as well as to bid farewell to emerita faculty member, Sr. Joan Delaplane, O.P. (front row - fourth from the left) prior to her upcoming move.
(Pictured Below): A meal was enjoyed following Mass in celebration of our founder, St. Dominic.